The strangest realization is that having and accomplishing my goals is making me happy.
I don’t have to stress anymore about what I should be doing and what I’m not doing. All that’s figured out. There’s no more beating myself up because of dithering. I have a list of what to do, it’s pointing in pretty much the right direction and, more or less, it’s getting done. What a relief.
On to specifics:
1) Health: Just because I get sleepy around 10 doesn’t mean that’s when I go to sleep! So, no, I’m back to not getting as much rest as I need. But at least I’m on a more healthy schedule. For example, I started typing this at 8:50 p.m., not 12:50 a.m. In other news, the deer ate the top off the new jujube tree though it was protected by a tomato cage, so I wound some chicken wire around it. The tomatoes and jalapenos got planted, and I’m still hitting the elliptical a reasonable amount. [Real: Health: sleep (lights out at 10:30 p.m.), move (get up from desk every hour, spend 20 minutes outside).]
2) Work: Back on a 9-hour daily schedule. The new job duties are starting to feel natural, though I still have to keep extra aware of the deadlines. [Real: Work only 8 a.m.-5 p.m., no evenings or weekends. Fantasy: Maintain job quality and make deadlines without stress.]
3) Writing: Averaging 250 words a day, and seems like I can write at any time. What a change. Don’t know what I’m writing with, but it feels less like the top of my head and more like my diaphragm. Tonight I’ll finish typing my current longhand pages and then I’ll be up to date. [Real: Add 250 words/day to equal 20,000 words by 80 days. Fantasy: Add 40,000 words.]
4) Epubs: Spent 3 hours today working on a JPEG that can’t be used. Oh, well. Now I know it can’t be used. Finished THE SHELFLESS BOOK—good info! [Real: Clean up & format 1 short story or flash anthology on weekend, create cover & publish. Market when 5 are available. Fantasy: Create 3 anthologies, publish & market. Read THE SHELFLESS BOOK.]
5) Social media: Ninety minutes doesn’t seem long enough for this! As all of you know who’ve been kind enough to comment here, I’ve been very bad about replying. Not to mention commenting on your blogs. This is a priority and I have to make it happen. On the other hand, the local writers’ mutual aid group I was thinking about is under way with 7 members in the Facebook group besides myself. Twitter’s going well, probably because it’s the most fun. Oh, about the blog: I started using the Press This tool to mention interesting posts that I find. It’s not the same as writing an original post, so I feel it’s sort of cheating. But it seems to make blogging more like tweeting, and I like that. [Real: Social media no more than 90 min/day. Be efficient. Fantasy: Post here 1x/wk & ROW80. Comment on blogs. Use other SM.]
7) I finished the DH Lawrence collection, though the book wasn’t really his complete works, just 8 novels and 19 stories, a few of which I’d never read before. Haven’t started Holly Lisle‘s book yet. Alicia Street‘s story, “Snow Dance,” sneaked in between (enjoyed it a lot!), and today I read Bob Mayer‘s ATLANTIS: BERMUDA TRIANGLE. I like that series! [Real: Finish reading Lawrence, then Lisle. Fantasy: Finish reading DH Lawrence. Read & do exercises in Holly Lisle‘s updated MUGGING THE MUSE.]
8) Social stuff: Yes, I had some fun (don’t you know all this stuff is fun?)—Yesterday we went to a big fish fry, a benefit for the Blanco Volunteer Fire Department. About a thousand people came, ate and participated in the raffles. We didn’t win nuthin’ but the catfish was delicious. [Real: Fit in fun, ad hoc social/useful things. Fantasy: Get to some Austin RWA meetings. See friends more often. Edit for business.]
Now I get to type pages. Then good-night!